roland-arranger.com user club
October 21, 2018, 04:51:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: User registration is currently disabled. If you want an account, please send an e-mail to registration@roland-arranger.com. In the e-mail inform us about your desired username and e-mail address and we will create a user account for you manually. You will recieve an e-mail, when your new account has been created.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flash Drive in BK-9  (Read 2093 times)

Gouge

United Kingdom United Kingdom

My keyboard is:
Roland BK-9

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2014, 08:10:24 PM »

Hi guys.  I've only recently bought a BK-9 to replace my fantastic G70 - it was either getting heavier or I was getting older but I needed a lighter keyboard with as many functions on it as possible.

I produce MIDI backing tracks for my own use to playback on the keyboard, but I find it a real PITA to have to switch off the BK-9 every time I want to remove the flash drive to modify a file. Lips sealed

Is there any way to eject the flash drive from the keyboard and then re-insert it without switching off?  If not, is this a reasonable request to put on the appropriate forum for suggested changes?
Diki

United States United States

My keyboard is:
G70, SRX-07, SRX-06, SRG-01, BK-7m, BK-9

View Profile Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:23:01 PM »

You aren't supposed to insert or remove the drive while the BK-9 is on? You sure of that? (edit, OK, I checked the manual... it says you shouldn't Shocked)

I have popped them in and out all the time, can't say I've had an issue... On the other hand, obviously, I never do it while the drive is either reading, or more importantly, writing to the drive. So, not while it's playing live loops, mp3's, or in playing style or sequence mode (mind you, both those should pre-load into memory, unless they use live loops).

How are you modifying the files outside of the BK-9? Most basic housekeeping (renaming, moving, etc.) can be done from within the BK...

But, in the end, should you chose to follow Roland's advice, boot-up time on a BK-9 is virtually just a few seconds (much faster then the G/E series), so hardly a major inconvenience? Please be aware, I am NOT advocating you ignore Roland's advice, but in fairness, Roland are pretty defensive about their USB memory stick advice (recommending ONLY their memory sticks, for instance), so I take it with a grain of salt... So far, no adverse results from my experiences so far, but YMMV... As long as you keep an active backup of the stick, even if Roland's warning comes true, you should be OK.

But remember... the machine should be doing NOTHING when you remove or insert the stick...

In the future, everyone will be famous for 15MB....
Gouge

My keyboard is:
Roland BK-9

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 05:00:29 PM »

Thanks for the response, Diki.  I've backed up all files on my PC so those on the stick are just copies, so no problem.  Wink  I'll give it a try, noting your warnings.

I produce backing tracks using Sibelius 7, initially, then fine-tune the MIDI events and the final instrument patch/bank selection using PowerTracks ProAudio sequencer (cheap but excellent).  I then copy the SMF to the memory stick and audition the tracks on the BK-9.  I've found that all of my backing tracks produced for the G70 sound different on the BK-9.  Either the instruments sound louder or softer in the mix, or it is overall too loud.  I have to reduce the velocities of any bass instruments as well to prevent the windows from rattling! I also check that the PC; CC00 and CC32 values are correct for the BK-9.  This means making several changes to the SMF before I get the mix correct.  Hence the need to keep on removing the stick.

I have tried to connect my PC directly to the BK-9 using USB to audition the tracks, but the mix sounds different to when using the memory stick. Overall too loud and some instruments do not always play (especially strings).  I can't work out why yet, so I'm stuck with just using the memory stick until I can sort out what's going wrong with the USB connection.
Diki

My keyboard is:

View Profile Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 07:26:13 PM »

Quick thing to check about rattling your windows playing back G70 files...

Are you still using the default Mastering Tools settings in the BK-9? Personally, I find them FAR to bass heavy and compressed. Not only is there quite a bass boost on the regular EQ, but the three band compressor has its bass frequency band boosted as well. This all adds up to quite a nice fat sound on cheaper speakers, but put it into something decently flat down in the bass region, and there go your windows!

Not to mention, the G70's ROM bass sounds weren't very fat to start with (I used an SRX card, the -07, to bring fatter basses to the G70), you may have added EQ at the G70 to fatten them up, and this is now being added to the MUCH fatter sounding basses in the BK...

End result is the perfect storm of low end!

Try making sure the bass PART has no added low end (from the G70 SMF), then if that is off, try adjusting the Compressor low band gain, and the Mastering EQ low band. Once your windows stay unshattered, you've probably got it right!

Gouge

My keyboard is:
Roland BK-9

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »

Thanks, Diki.  I'll give that a try. 

I'm still finding my way around the BK-9.  I didn't do anything with the EQ on the G70, I just added lots of bass instruments to compensate Roll Eyes

By the way, to help me in cross-checking the tone lists of the G70 and BK-9, I spent days producing an Excel spreadsheet of the BK-9 tones in a way that they can be sorted by name, PC number etc.  Not sure whether I've duplicated something that already exists, but I'm happy to share as long as it doesn't infringe any copyright.  It has made life a lot easier for me. Cheesy
Diki

My keyboard is:

View Profile Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 06:25:22 PM »

There's no copyright issues on a list of tones and PC#'s....

Do you already have the 'BK-9Tone&DrumKitList_e2_W.pdf' list from Roland?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: