roland-arranger.com user club
October 21, 2018, 04:51:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: User registration is currently disabled. If you want an account, please send an e-mail to registration@roland-arranger.com. In the e-mail inform us about your desired username and e-mail address and we will create a user account for you manually. You will recieve an e-mail, when your new account has been created.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick Tip: BK series folders  (Read 1009 times)

Diki

United States United States

My keyboard is:
G70, SRX-07, SRX-06, SRG-01, BK-7m, BK-9

View Profile Awards
« on: June 26, 2014, 07:41:08 PM »

I don't know if many of you have found this out yet, but, once you format a USB stick in the Roland BK series, you can THEN go and create further folders INSIDE the directory structure using a computer, and the BK recognizes them.

This can be a boon when trying to organize your files... Let's say you have a bunch of break music MP3's, nothing to stop you creating a system where modern pop songs go in one folder, oldies another, line dances another... This will make finding and playing them much easier.

You can also drag and drop an entire folder of new styles you want to try out in the 'My Rhythms' folder (on the computer), then they don't get mixed in willy-nilly with the styles you DO already use, so you can remove them in one go should they not work out for you. Should you find some you like, open them in the Makeup Tools (don't do anything to them unless you want) but then 'Save' the 'edited' style to the 'normal' 'My Rhythms' folder (or to any other folder you may have created already), and now you can happily delete the entire folder (in a computer) once you are done auditioning the styles. Whatever you wanted to keep is now moved to somewhere else...

Same applies for SMF's, Key Loops, whatever...

I always hated how difficult it was to separate stuff you are auditioning for stuff you actually want to keep in the old G/E series. I find this (even though you can't create or erase the folders in the arranger itself) a huge improvement.

For those of us that like to edit the ROM styles, and keep things organized the same way as they already are, you COULD create an entire folder structure inside the main 'My Rhythms' folder with the same categories and order the ROM styles are in, and edit each of the ROM styles to taste and store them in the same order...

You could easily separate the Performances folder into sub categories... One Man Band, Duo, Live Band, one act, another... The possibilities are endless..!  Tongue

The only thing you are likely to have to be careful about is (haven't checked this out to be sure, but I imagine this exists), if you create Performances with the component parts (Style, SMF, MP3, Key Loops, etc.) in one place, if you then go and move those component pieces somewhere else, to a different folder, you may very well confuse the Performance as to where these components are (that's how it was in the G/E series). So, if I were you, I'd have a GOOD think about how you really want to organize everything BEFORE you start making Performances out of the bits...

I hope this helps...

In the future, everyone will be famous for 15MB....
Gouge

United Kingdom United Kingdom

My keyboard is:
Roland BK-9

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 01:35:59 PM »

Yes, I've catalogued my SMF files using sub-folders to make them easier to find.  Extremely useful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: