roland-arranger.com user club
November 15, 2018, 04:58:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: User registration is currently disabled. If you want an account, please send an e-mail to registration@roland-arranger.com. In the e-mail inform us about your desired username and e-mail address and we will create a user account for you manually. You will recieve an e-mail, when your new account has been created.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glenn Miller with BK-7m and Yamaha MoXF  (Read 2439 times)

Prickyplant

Germany Germany

My keyboard is:
BK-7m, Integra-7, MoXF6

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2014, 11:26:26 PM »

I played this partly live (sax section with right hand and trumpet section with left hand) on my BK-7m and Yamaha MoXF, the backing is a self-made midi file. The two sections use combined sounds from BK-7m and MoXF (I really like the deep, rich sax section, the BK-7m adds a soft alto sax with a nice, late sampled vibrato that really improves the MoXF saxes). The backing midi file consists of BK-7m sounds only, including a trombone track.
There are some Tyros videos of In the Mood, which have over 100,000 views and do not sound very original to me, so I just wanted to show you can do better and the Tyros is just one of several good instruments...

http://youtu.be/-U53iypzkQY (EDIT: outdated)

EDIT: New version here!
http://youtu.be/_LWvGji9yEw
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 01:04:45 AM by Prickyplant » Logged
Diki

United States United States

My keyboard is:
G70, SRX-07, SRX-06, SRG-01, BK-7m, BK-9

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 06:57:18 PM »

Fantastic!

More..!  Kiss

In the future, everyone will be famous for 15MB....
magean

Germany Germany

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 06:03:19 PM »

Hi,

I am deeply impressed about this performance. And I visited the youtube channel of Prickyplant and his homepage to get more of this fantastic music. It is unbelievable that some of this music is played live. And especially the music of Bach and Haendel - I cannot believe that this is possible with electronic musical instruments (even with sequencer). The trumpet in the water music is very perfect. I played trumpet for many years and was always searching a trumpet in a keyboard /synth with such a high quality.....

I have a BK-7m and an Integra 7 and I learned with these videos that it is not the equipment - it it the musician who makes the difference.....

Regards
Gerd

Prickyplant

Germany Germany

My keyboard is:
BK-7m, Integra-7, MoXF6

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 03:35:10 PM »

Thanks a lot for your feedback. But let me emphasize there are lots of really professional pianists whose skills are far superior to mine (I'll probably have a few meetings or lessons with a professional jazz pianist soon); in my case it's a combination of having being interested in synthesizers and keyboards for over 20 years and having enjoyed (long, long ago...) a rather solid fundament of 12 years of strict, classical piano lessons (and some years of church organ lessons).
I really like what you can do with the Integra in terms of classical symphonic music. I like the SN-A trumpet, too, but the Korg M3 Xpanded also had really great trumpets and woodwinds in its expansions.
Regarding my BK-7m I used for In the Mood, it would be great of Roland to release an updated module soon, as it seems to sell really well. I hope the end of Roland Europe hasn't been the end of the Roland arranger development.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:37:18 PM by Prickyplant » Logged
Diki

My keyboard is:

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 07:59:27 PM »

I hope the end of Roland Europe hasn't been the end of the Roland arranger development.

Probably not, but it sure seems to have slowed it down just at the time when it needed some progress. Roland, especially in the BK-9 and the form factor of the BK-7m seem to have the potential for a huge hit on their hands, but there ARE some things that need improvement (most of which could be done with software alone) and now is not the time to stagnate...

magean

Germany Germany

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 11:54:14 AM »

Thanks a lot for your feedback. But let me emphasize there are lots of really professional pianists whose skills are far superior to mine (I'll probably have a few meetings or lessons with a professional jazz pianist soon); in my case it's a combination of having being interested in synthesizers and keyboards for over 20 years and having enjoyed (long, long ago...) a rather solid fundament of 12 years of strict, classical piano lessons (and some years of church organ lessons).

It is not only the skill to play a piano. When playing with electronic instruments the registration, the settings of the sounds, the mix, etc. are also very important. With the wrong keyboard settings the best piano skills cannot compensate the miserable sound - and vice versa.
You recording show various skills - ranging from the handling of instruments to the playing itself. And that makes it perfect.

I really like what you can do with the Integra in terms of classical symphonic music. I like the SN-A trumpet, too, but the Korg M3 Xpanded also had really great trumpets and woodwinds in its expansions.

I was not aware that the Integra is perfectly suited for classical music (to be honest I have not checked all the sounds in it yet). Long time ago I had a Roland MV-30 and U-220 with the expansion cards "Organ & Harpsichord", "Woodwind" , "Strings", "Sax & Trombone", etc. and used this equipment to play modern & classical music. But during the last two decades I waited for Roland to come back with these (improved) sounds in new instruments...  and I got the impresssion that they lost parts of their sample libraries.

Regarding my BK-7m I used for In the Mood, it would be great of Roland to release an updated module soon, as it seems to sell really well.

When reading the press releases of Roland in the last years, I got the impression that they were surprised that the BK-7m sold very well. At least they did not expect the sales numbers they achieved.
Let's hope they will release a product above the BK-9 soon and that they will include Dikis suggestions for new features. But to be honest I think that we will have to wait for a long time till we get such a product from Roland.....
Prickyplant

Germany Germany

My keyboard is:
BK-7m, Integra-7, MoXF6

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 10:29:05 PM »

I was not aware that the Integra is perfectly suited for classical music (to be honest I have not checked all the sounds in it yet). Long time ago I had a Roland MV-30 and U-220 with the expansion cards "Organ & Harpsichord", "Woodwind" , "Strings", "Sax & Trombone", etc. and used this equipment to play modern & classical music. But during the last two decades I waited for Roland to come back with these (improved) sounds in new instruments...  and I got the impresssion that they lost parts of their sample libraries.

The best Integra sounds for classical music are the expansions SRX 04, 06 and 10. There are certainly some of the old samples from the U-220 cards and other cards from the early 1990s which made their way to the SRX 06. Otherwise, the SRX 06 has all the samples from the JV expansions 'Orchestral' (from about 1993) and 'Orchestral II' (1999) and is extremely resourceful. The strings and brass of the SRX 04 and 10 are newer and better, sampled around 2001-2005. But you are right that Roland hasn't maintained the same emphasis on baroque and classical samples they used to have in the early 1990s, and some sounds were indeed lost (e.g. some church organ samples).
Diki

My keyboard is:

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »

In fairness, I'm surprised that many people are still using ROMplers as gear of choice for classical. While you can get some decent results, either a sampler or the main thing everyone uses nowadays, large VSTi libraries, will get the job done better, and often easier.

I am usually far more concerned about pop strings and the like, being something you are far more likely to use live (where a computer VSTi is usually less convenient) than full classical mockups. And this is where most ROMplers tend to fail, as pop string sections are usually far smaller than full classical orchestra sections. I wish ROMplers would concentrate on those smaller sections more...  Cool

Prickyplant

Germany Germany

My keyboard is:
BK-7m, Integra-7, MoXF6

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 03:54:48 PM »

I use Romplers for symphonic music, because I want to use it for live music, too, and I don't really like software for making music. I admit playing classical music live is rather a "niche market"; often those people who want to have this kind of music, e.g. for a stand-up reception or during dinner, tend to prefer pure piano music, and there seems to be a resistance for them to be interested in some strings, woodwinds and brass sounds as an alternative... I don't really know why if it sounds as realistic as with the Integra.
BTW, I was surprised to see a well-known German Wersi organ player accompanying a famous Austrian opera singer in a Dubai hotel with her orchestral Wersi sounds. So maybe it's getting more acceptable... (found this here: http://youtu.be/WXHa27O4iXc). And I think the Integra stands its ground against these Wersi sounds.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:57:19 PM by Prickyplant » Logged
pulant

Malta Malta

My keyboard is:
g 70 ver: 3.1

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 08:50:16 PM »

In my opinion, it's a perfect execution of "in the mood" and I congratulate you for your excellent performance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: