roland-arranger.com user club
November 15, 2018, 04:58:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: User registration is currently disabled. If you want an account, please send an e-mail to registration@roland-arranger.com. In the e-mail inform us about your desired username and e-mail address and we will create a user account for you manually. You will recieve an e-mail, when your new account has been created.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hold (Sustain) pedal problem on the BK-9  (Read 2479 times)

Rob Sherratt

Greece Greece

My keyboard is:
Roland BK-9

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2013, 10:37:02 AM »

I'm finding lots of situations where the Hold (Sustain) pedal function works intermittently on the BK-9.  It's not my new Roland sustain pedal that is faulty because the same pedal works perfectly on another electronic piano.

I am finding it hard to track down the exact cause, but here is my diagnosis so far:  Some styles seem to send sustain off messages on the Upper1 and Upper2 solo part channels 4 and 5.  This is a serious style programming fault.  Also some button combinations, e.g selecting a new Upper1 sound causes a sustained previous sound on Upper1 to be cut off, even though the new Upper1 sound has not yet been "played"

I welcome input from other BK-9 owners. Are you having any difficulties with unexpected Hold (Sustain) off events screwing up your use of the sustain pedal?

Thanks,
Rob

If "Life's but a walking shadow that struts and frets his hour upon the stage", then how come I can't remember my lines?
Diki

United States United States

My keyboard is:
G70, SRX-07, SRX-06, SRG-01, BK-7m, BK-9

View Profile Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 10:55:50 AM »

So far, I haven't noticed this. What you really need to do is find a style and sound that does this regularly, repeatably. Then we can get Roland on the case.

Have you also considered that maybe you are exceeding the BK's polyphony? That would give the same result (especially if the style's Parts are given priority in the voice allocation). Is the style exceptionally busy, are you layering up a lot of stuff in the RH sector?

If you find a repeatable sustain glitch, try muting one or two of the Style Parts, then see if it still happens. If not, it's probably a polyphony issue. The workaround (Roland aren't going to be able to up the polyphony!) is to either pick RH Tones that aren't so complex (maybe the Piano/String patch instead of a full stereo piano layered with a full stereo string patch), or to Makeup Tool the style so that less complex Tones are used, or mute out Parts you don't need (don't simply turn down the volume, as the voices still get used)...

In the future, everyone will be famous for 15MB....
Rob Sherratt

Greece Greece

My keyboard is:
Roland BK-9

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:12:47 AM »

Have you also considered that maybe you are exceeding the BK's polyphony? That would give the same result (especially if the style's Parts are given priority in the voice allocation). Is the style exceptionally busy, are you layering up a lot of stuff in the RH sector?

If you find a repeatable sustain glitch, try muting one or two of the Style Parts, then see if it still happens. If not, it's probably a polyphony issue. The workaround (Roland aren't going to be able to up the polyphony!) is to either pick RH Tones that aren't so complex (maybe the Piano/String patch instead of a full stereo piano layered with a full stereo string patch), or to Makeup Tool the style so that less complex Tones are used, or mute out Parts you don't need (don't simply turn down the volume, as the voices still get used)...

Hi Diki,

Thanks for great suggestions.  Yes, the "problems" may well be because of exceeded polyphony limit.  I will investigate further and create some MIDI recordings where I can count the polyphony in use.

If the problem is due to polyphony limit exceeded, then I prefer to drop notes on one of the backing instrument tracks than to drop solo notes on Upper1 or Upper2.  Is there a way to configure the note drop priority in this way?

At the moment, the rhythm parts do not appear to "drop" any notes, whereas it is always my sustained solo parts Upper1 and/or Upper2 that seem to suffer.

Thanks,
Rob

If "Life's but a walking shadow that struts and frets his hour upon the stage", then how come I can't remember my lines?
Diki

My keyboard is:

View Profile Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 06:30:17 PM »

You always have to take note releases into account when looking at polyphony. Even though the MIDI note may have stopped, a long release means the voice still sounds. You will also have to take into account whether the sound is stereo, or layered, Those will take two notes to sound.

Rob Sherratt

Greece Greece

My keyboard is:
Roland BK-9

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 06:54:32 PM »

I just upgraded from BK-9 OS version 1.4 to version 1.5.  I noticed in the release notes that some changes to Sustain (Hold) functionality were made.  The problem I noticed and reported here has gone away.  I cannot make it happen again under OS 1.5.

Diki

My keyboard is:

View Profile Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 07:47:54 PM »

Let's move this to the 'Solved' section then, OK?

johnnyangel

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 10:00:11 PM »

I'm having a similar problem on my BK7m.  Every twenty or thirty seconds or so, the sustain turns off for a few notes then back on.  It's not a pedal problem...I've tried several, so the problem is in the box.  It's happening in  version 1.07 and in the previous version 1.06.  It's VERY irritating when on gigs.  Any new fix for this problem?  This happens repeatedly on all styles and happens whether playing one note or 5 notes in the right hand.  HELP!!  Please forward this to the moderator if you can't help.  Thanks so much. Roll Eyes
Diki

My keyboard is:

View Profile Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 09:26:22 PM »

As this is not being widely reported, I have a feeling you may have a problem with your 'Hold' jack input on your BK-7m.

Unless you use right hand jacks, it's fairly easy to put a lot of stress on the input jack, and you may have stressed the jack a bit away from the PCB.

About the only thing I can suggest you try before taking it to a repair man is to back up your data (and WRITE down the global settings and MIDI settings, because Roland forgot to make those able to be backed up  Roll Eyes ) and then try a factory Restore... If it still has issues after that, my money is on the jack...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: