roland-arranger.com user club
November 15, 2018, 04:57:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: User registration is currently disabled. If you want an account, please send an e-mail to registration@roland-arranger.com. In the e-mail inform us about your desired username and e-mail address and we will create a user account for you manually. You will recieve an e-mail, when your new account has been created.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALERT! THE DISPLAY IN MY G70 IS BROKE  (Read 3933 times)

admin
Administrator

Denmark Denmark

My keyboard is:
Roland G-70 OS3.01

View Profile Awards
« on: September 02, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »

When the G70 is powered on suddenly the display gets filled with vertical black lines with a gap of a few milimeters. This means that the display is filled when a lot of these lines.

This makes it really difficult for me to read the content on the display - AND it makes it therefore also difficult (almost impossible) for me to operate the keyboard.

Luckily I know where most of the features are in the diplay. This helps me a lot.

Has anybody else expenrienced this bug? I suppose it is a failure is the diplay component or in the display controller....

www.sorenweiss.dk
www.roland-arranger.com
www.yamaha-arranger.dk
www.hitlogen.dk

[Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...]
[Make a living by what you get but make a life by what you give]
Diki

United States United States

My keyboard is:
G70, SRX-07, SRX-06, SRG-01, BK-7m, BK-9

View Profile Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 10:16:02 PM »

Sorry to hear this... I know the display is quite expensive to replace.

One thing you might do is open her up and check if any of the ribbon connectors to the display are seated well. At BOTH ends!

Had you moved it recently, or has it been sitting undisturbed? And, has your house had any electrical issues (power outages, lightning storms etc.) lately?

I lost my display briefly after it received the direct Florida sun for only  a couple of minutes (it's HOT down here, LOL), but the entire thing went black but fortunately recovered after a few minutes of cooling down in the shade.

Make sure you get a tech (if it has to be repaired) that is friendly to you, or it might get fixed the most expensive way! A lot of them would rather replace faulty components wholesale than bother to find out exactly what the problem IS...

Hope it works out for you. And, if you HAVE to have the display replaced, get an estimate. You MIGHT be able to find a s/h G70 for about the same price! Then you'd have one as spares for the other if other things go wrong...

In the future, everyone will be famous for 15MB....
sean

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

My keyboard is:
g70 e 50 e15

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 03:50:45 AM »

had a smiliar problem recently

if you open up up the keyboard as diki pointed out in my situation be very careful as you can do more damage
but dont be afraid have a go
there is a narrow plastic frame around the the lcd on the inside sometimes its a bit off and needs to be aligned
but its not the dearest part of the g70 to buy
if you shop around
i suppose best advice is to replace it in case it happens at the wrong time
you can replace it yourself with a little care and patience
i wish you luck
sean
admin
Administrator

Denmark Denmark

My keyboard is:
Roland G-70 OS3.01

View Profile Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 09:32:41 AM »

Hi Sean, Diki and Giovanni (who sent me a PM),

Thank you for your quick replies and thank you for sharing your experience, tips and ideas.

I contacted the guys from Roland Scandinavia, who are always very helpful - also this time. They gave me address and phone number to a local tech, who they could recommend. I have now found out that the tech guy is used by all local music stores and musicians. I guess that is because he is good...

However, the tech guy said that it was most likely either the display component or the display controller that was broke... He told me that it was as good as impossible for him to verify which of the two that was broke. His guess was that the display itself was broke, so he suggested to replace it with a new display as it is impossible to open the component in order to look for the fault.

I was lucky to get the G70 fixed just in time for my next gig... However, unfortunately I was billed 616 USD... but, I had no other option...

The good thing is that it seems to have fixed the problem. On my last gig I had no display problems ;-)

www.sorenweiss.dk
www.roland-arranger.com
www.yamaha-arranger.dk
www.hitlogen.dk

[Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...]
[Make a living by what you get but make a life by what you give]
sean

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

My keyboard is:
g70 e 50 e15

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 04:23:17 AM »

hi there
is there anyway we could find somene who sells g70 parts at a reasonable price
616 usd sounds very dear
can remember what i paid but is was a lot less than that
i remember along time ago i got a midi drive from australia  but i cant remember the address
if i get a chance i will search the net and let you know if i find a cheaper site
for another couple of hundred you could have had my friends g70
and you would have had parts for ages
anyway im glad your up and running
if anyone wants g70 parts let me know and i will give you my friends email adress
they say shop around but we dont always have time
i want spend my time playing music not fixing keyboards

good luck
sean
mrkdrk

Canada Canada

My keyboard is:
G70 os3

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »

I just wanted to post to tell you I replaced my g70 display with minimal effort. It cost 200 to get the display from Roland and the job took about 3 hours. I also dusted it out, replaced some missing screws, cleaned the keys etc. We forget that even though it is electronic it is still a musical instrument and it needs as much care and maintenance as a guitar or drum kit.
 When my screen started to go I was ready to pack it in and get a BK-9. Once I powered up I was glad I didn't scrap it. It is still a great keyboard and it is worth restoring. So if the display goes...replace it yourself...no soldering involved.
Diki

United States United States

My keyboard is:
G70, SRX-07, SRX-06, SRG-01, BK-7m, BK-9

View Profile Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 04:27:02 PM »

I am disappointed that Roland decided to drop the touch screen on the BK series, particularly for the TOTL BK-9.

As your post indicates, it is not that expensive a component. If it cost $200 from Roland, you can bet it costs them only $100.

That seems such a small price to pay for the ease of use that has been lost.

In the future, everyone will be famous for 15MB....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: